It’s hard to think of healthy comfort food, but this vegan dish is not only filling, it’s wholesome and healthy too.
I’m a vegetarian but have tried committing to Veganuary this month to start to reduce the number of animal products we use in our house.
My partner Chris Hale made this beautiful dish that I just couldn’t get enough of!
– 4 large white onions
– 100g Brown lentils
– 100g Brown rice
– 2 tsp toasted cumin seeds
– 2 tsp ground cinnamon
– 50g flaked almonds, toasted
1. Cut off the head and tail of the onions, leaving them in their skins. Boil for 20-30mins (until cooked through).
2. Boil the rice and lentils until cooked. (Time will vary depending on what rice or lentils you use).
3. Mix the rice and lentils with the various spices and lay in a baking tray.
4. Take off the onion skins and chop the onions in half standing up on the rice and lentil mix, filling the gaps between the onions. Sprinkle over your favourite spices.
5. Put tin foil over the baking tray and put in the over for 20mins at 180 degrees – taking off the foil for the last 5 mins of cooking.
6. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and serve.