Whether you’re cooking breakfast, lunch, dinner or all three, we’ve got simple tasty recipes for some mid-week magic at your dinner table.
And this comes from me – a rustic, impatient and forced home-cook.
I’ve found my own secret “cheat” ingredient – using Dolmio sauce – which I was surprised to find out doesn’t contain any nasties.
I bought a large jar (750mg – serves 6) of the low fat Bolognese sauce as I wanted to make two dishes, one vegetarian dish for me and a meat-based dish for my husband and the kids.
I decided to make myself a healthy version of a “Mexican breakfast” dish called Huevos Rancheros.
And I made a Bolognese Lasagne for Chris and the girls.[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSpn7hzXH_M]
Huevos Rancheros recipe:
Half 750g jar of Dolmio sauce
A handful of Mushrooms
1 tin of beans/chickpeas
3 rashers of vegetarian bacon “facon”
- Spray fry-light in the pan and add your chopped onion for two minutes.
- Then add your chopped mushrooms, tin of pulses/beans/chickpeas and, stir.
- Next add your Dolmio sauce and jalapenos to taste. Stir well.
- Once the sauce is sizzling then crack in your eggs. Or you can fry the eggs separately.
- Grill your vegetarian bacon for 1 minute on each side.
- Ladel the sauce, eggs and bacon into a large bowl to serve.
- Add Jalapenos, squeezed lime and fresh parsley to taste.
Half 750mg jar of Dolmio sauce
500g Mince and Mushrooms (or just mince)
6 sheets of Lasagne (fresh or dried)
Left-over vegetables to roast
Lea and Perrins sauce
- Chop up any left-over vegetables, spray with fry-light and roast in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if you’re using dried Lasagne sheets soak them in boiling water.
- Then brown the mince and mushrooms in a pan for around 5 minutes.
- Add Dolmio sauce to the mince and stir.
- Remove the roast vegetables from the oven and cover with Lasagne sheets.
- Then pour over the bolognese sauce and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Place the Lasagne back in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the Lasagne and sprinkle with parsley or spring onions.
- Cut up and serve… Buon Appetito!
The Huevos Rancheros was so tasty and it felt indulgent although it is actually rather healthy.
I served up the Lasagne for my chef husband and the girls. No word of a lie, Chef Chris tasted it and said: “This is the best thing you’ve ever made me.”
This post is an entry for the #Dolmio #ThankGoodness Challenge, sponsored by Dolmio. For more information, go to: www.dolmio.co.uk/thankgoodness.
Dolmio Bolognese Original 500g sauce is 100% natural. In each jar, you’ll find at least 10 juicy diced tomatoes, a dollop of tomato puree, half an onion, a tablespoon of sunflower oil, a couple of cloves of garlic, a handful of herbs including basil, a teaspoon of cornflour, a teaspoon of salt, a pinch of pepper, two teaspoons of added beet sugar for taste, a squeeze of lemon juice, a splash of water and nothing more. In fact, a jar provides a family of four with one of their 5-a-day each and that’s before you add any further veg to the meal! For more information visit www.dolmio.co.uk/thankgoodness or if you’re looking for mid-week meal inspiration check out the label on Dolmio jars.